One of the biggest reasons dental laboratory technicians provide for not taking the NBC exams is the lack of availability of testing locations. As laboratory owners, you have the opportunity to remove this barrier that inhibits many technicians from seeking to elevate his or her professional status - by hosting an NBC Exam in your laboratory. Click here to view the NBC's Exam Host Information brochure.
There are a total of three CDT exams that must be passed for a technician to earn his or her certification. Two are written exams and one is a hands-on, practical exam. The written comprehensive exam takes 2 3/4 hours and the written specialty takes 1 1/2 hours. The practical exam runs about 6 hours and is in the same specialty area as the written specialty exam.
- NBC Request to Host Exam Form - used to select a date that you would like to host the exam. This date must be at least three months in the future so that proper notification can be given to potential candidates.
- NBC Practical Exam Facility Information Sheet - used by NBC examiners to determine if the laboratory has the equipment needed to properly accommodate the CDT Practical Exam.
Hosting requirements for the written exams are very simple. You must be able to provide:
- An appropriate testing environment for candidates, allowing at least 3 feet of space between them with air conditioning, heating, etc,
- Logistical arrangements as necessary for visiting candidates (arrange for parking permits, security, room/building access, etc.).
- Provide the name, telephone/e-mail, and mailing address for a suggested proctor (subject to approval by the NBC).
- Someone onsite during the examinations to assist with any issues that may arise.
We can accommodate written exam testing at any time. Please complete the Host Exam Date Request form when you are ready to set a date. The Exam Date Request Form should be submitted 6-8 weeks prior to the requested date.
Hosting requirements for practical exams are much more involved.
Practical exam hosts need to complete the Practical Exam Facility Information Sheet first. That sheet is then reviewed by the NBC and Senior Examiners to approve the facility. After approval has been granted, the Host Exam Date Request form would be turned in when you are ready to set a date. Please note that practical exams are also subject to cancellation depending on the number of candidates who register. The NBC sends three examiners to the host laboratory and tries to have at least ten candidates to ensure that the expenses are covered.