The Recognized Graduate (RG) designation is the first step in obtaining a Certified Dental Technician (CDT) designation. The goal of the RG examination is to measure competency of a predetermined body of knowledge as well as a means of validating a formal education against a national third party standard. To become an RG, a technician must demonstrate their knowledge by successfully taking and passing the RG Exam within one (1) year of graduation from a formal dental laboratory technology program.
The examinations given by the NBC are the result of years of continuing development. Questions on the exams originate with technicians in the field. Subject matter experts conduct regular reviews, revisions and updates of the exams. All examination content is also subject to ongoing statistical analysis based on actual usage of exam questions as well as peer review to ensure relevance to current practices in dental technology.
The following examinations must be passed successfully to become a Certified Dental Technician (CDT):
- The Written Comprehensive examination (or the Written Recognized Graduate examination, if eligible);
- The Written Specialty examination;
- The Practical examination (in the same specialty area as the Written Specialty examination)
Candidates may sit for the examinations in any order and all three (3) exams must be passed within four (4) years of the date that the first exam was passed.
Application Process and Fees
In order to offer a greater number of testing locations and more flexible scheduling, NBC administers the CDT and RG written examinations utilizing computer-based testing with remote proctoring.
There are certain rules to ensure the integrity of the process. For example, test takers will be required to select a 30 day testing window during which time they must complete their examination. Test takers will also be required to complete a series of security protocols before, during and after the examination.
The requirements for computer-based testing (CBT) are as follows:
- Private workspace (a busy location, such as a library or café, will not suffice)
- Desktop computer, laptop, or tablet with internet capabilities that meets the requirements for FastTest as outlined in the link below:
- Cellular smart phone that meets the requirements for MonitorEDU as outlined in the link below:
- MonitorEDU requirements (note: computer webcam, computer microphone, and computer speakers are not required for these testing purposes)
- Power cords for desktop computer/laptop/tablet and cellular smart phone
- Something to prop your cellular smart phone on (tripod, phone stand, household item, etc.)
- Photographic identification (Driver's License or Passport)
- A printed copy of your NBC candidate letter
Additional rules will be provided to the candidate by NBC and by the exam Proctor.
To register for an examination, the candidate must read and fill out the application that can be found in the RG Handbook and Application. The handbook is one of the best resources and contains important information regarding the requirements to become an RG, examination confirmation, the cancellation and rescheduling policy, details about examination preparation and studying, and information about examination content.
- Written RG Examination: $255
Candidates for examinations must submit a completed application and payment for a specific examination.
Eligibility for Exams
All technicians applying for the RG examination must:
- Have a working knowledge of the English language
- Be a high school graduate (or the documented equivalent)
- Be of satisfactory ethical and legal standing as defined by the NBC's disciplinary standards
- Meet the technical prerequisites required for testing